Looking to spice things up?
Chrissy Teigen’s cookbook has lately been my go-to when I feel like something different, or something spicy or just looking to make something I normally wouldn’t throw together! My daughter gave me her cookbook about a year ago to add to my cookbook collection. She thought that this would be a fun addition to the greats. This cookbook actually stands out in my library. I don’t usually venture into Thai cuisine. But my daughter happens to be a huge Chrissy fan (who isn’t!?) and she recently moved back to Detroit from New York and constantly complains about our lack of quality Thai food in the area. Basically, she wanted me to create what she was missing!
Chrissy’s cookbook, Cravings, is very straightforward. She is witty and to the point. The recipes are not too complicated but very unique! She included hysterical photos of her family along with the food. I love that she really took advantage of having her mother, PepperThai, help, and expertise in the kitchen. The best part of the cookbook is that it reads like she’s telling you the stories and recipes face-to-face.
Sweet Chili Sauce is a classic staple in Thai cuisine. It is in a few of her recipes, and the Chicken Lettuce Wraps are no exception. It gives that savory-sweet flavor but has a little heat. My favorite part about this specific recipe is that you can really cater it to your own tastes. For example, we like things very spicy in our home! I only use half of the recipe suggested red peppers, and replace them with a Hungarian hot pepper for more heat! I also like to add more water chestnuts for an extra crunch. Don’t alter her sauce or remove the scallions — it seems like a lot, but trust me, you need them.
Can’t wait for more Cravings from Chrissy Teigen!
Chrissy Teigen's Chicken Lettuce WrapsPrint Recipe
- 3 Tablespoons Thai sweet chili suace
- 3 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 Tablespoons of light soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of Sriracha
- 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 Teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic (4 Cloves)
- 1 Tablespoon of minced fresh ginger
- For the Filling
- 1 Pound of ground chicken
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 Scallions, sliced thinly keep the whites and greens seperate
- 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 Pound white mushrooms, trimmed, cleaned, and finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup finely diced canned water chestnuts (OR! add a full cup for more crunch!)
- 1 Small red bell pepper finely chopped (OR! add a Hungarian pepper instead!)
- 2 Heads of butter lettuce leaves seperated
To make the sauce:
In a bowl add Chili sauce, hoisin, soy sauce, Sriracha, vegetable oil, sesame oil, vinegar, garlic and ginger.
To make the filling:
In a bowl mix 2 tablespoons of sauce into the ground chicken
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat
add chicken while cooking break the meat up until brown 5 to 6 mins
Remove meat from pan and set aside
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon to the skillet and add the scallion whites, garlic, ginger and cook for 3 to 4 minutes
Add the cook chicken to the mixture and add water chestnuts, bell pepper, and the rest of the sauce and cook until the sauce thickens
Stir in green part of the scallions
Serve on lettuce leave and drizzle with Sriracha
Try this recipe a few times to make it your own! I love this recipe to serve when I feel like something different!